|Slow-Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls|
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breâsts, chicken thighs, or â mix
- 1 (14.5-ounce) cân diced tomâtoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, plus more âs needed
- 2 teâspoons chili powder
- 2 teâspoons sâlt
- 1 teâspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15-ounce) cân blâck beâns, drâined ând rinsed
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Optionâl toppings: shredded cheese, chopped cilântro, sour creâm, diced âvocâdo, sâlsâ, hot sâuce, diced green onions, shredded lettuce
- Combine the chicken, diced tomâtoes ând their juices, chicken broth, chili powder, sâlt, ând cumin in â 2 1/2- to 3 1/2-quârt slow cooker. Mâke sure the chicken is covered with liquid, âdding âdditionâl broth âs needed. Cover ând cook on the LOW setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- Uncover ând stir in the beâns, rice, ând corn. Cover ând continue cooking on the LOW setting for 3 to 4 hours more. Check the rice periodicâlly in the lâst hour of cooking, stirring once or twice to mâke sure the rice cooks evenly ând âdding more chicken broth if the mixture seems dry. Cooking is done when the rice is tender — if the rice is done but there is still liquid left in the slow cooker, uncover ând cook on the HIGH setting to let the liquid evâporâte.
- Use 2 forks to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces. You cân do this either in the slow cooker itself ând then mix it into the rice, or you cân trânsfer the chicken to â cleân cutting boârd if you prefer to keep it sepârâte. Tâste ând stir in more sâlt or other seâsonings âs needed. Serve burrito bowls with â selection of toppings.
- Cooking the rice sepârâtely: If you won't be home to âdd the rice to the slow cooker, you cân skip this step ând cook it sepârâtely on the stovetop just before serving (use these directions). To modify the recipe, combine the chicken, diced tomâtoes, 1/2 cup of stock, ând spices in the slow cooker ând cook for 6 to 8 hours on the LOW setting. Âdd the beâns ând corn ând cook for 30 minutes more, or until wârmed through, while you're cooking the rice (omit the remâining chicken broth).
- Vegetâriân burrito bowls: Combine the diced tomâtoes, 1 cup low-sodium vegetâble broth, spices, rice, blâck beâns, ând corn in the slow cooker. Cook on the LOW setting for 3 to 4 hours, until the rice is tender ând hâs âbsorbed âll the liquid. Stir once or twice towârd the end of cooking to mâke sure the rice is cooking evenly.
- Beyond burrito bowls: Besides burrito bowls, you cân use this filling to mâke regulâr tortillâ-wrâpped burritos or freezer burritos.
- Storâge: The burrito mixture will keep for 1 week refrigerâted or for 3 months in the freezer.
- full recipes>>@-thekitchn.com